Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Into every tooth a little floss must clean

Last night I got home late. Well, later than usual. Instead of leaving work and heading directly to home and 24 season finale. I joined my friend Gwen at the West Hollywood Farmer's Market for a little dinner, a little coffee, and a little talking.

By the way, totally love the Farmer's Market. I wish I lived within walking distance of it. I swear upon all that is holy that if I did, I would walk there and buy fresh produce all the time. The last month or so I've been cooking more and actually buying fresh vegetables to cook with.

Did you know brussel sprouts ar actually really good? Yeah, sautee them in a little olive oil, garlic, and pepper very tasty. I never had them growing up and only knew them by their bad reputation. Well, let me tell you, that reputation is not deserved at all. Brussel sprouts, yummy. And healthy. Who knew.

Self: I didn't for a very long time.
Me: I know, me neither.
Self: I hate to interrupt myself as I go on rhapsodic about maligned vegetables and how good the are.
Me: And the are.
Self: I Know. But, the title.
Me: Oh, right. I got off topic again.
Self: Yes, I did.
Me: Thanks.
Self: Anytime.

Suffice it to say eating is a good thing. (I hate Martha Stewart for using "good thing" as her trademark saying thing) But, eating also means getting food stuck between your teeth which I hate. The past year I've gotten really good about flossing my teeth at night. I've become religious about it. I mean I don't light candles and have altars set up to worship the almighty floss, but I don't feel right if I haven't flossed my teeth before going to bed.

And let me tell you, flossing kind of a pain in the butt. There are some nights when I just want to fall into bed as quickly as possible. But, flossing you can't really rush it. it takes as long as it takes. There's no short cuts for it.

I brush my teeth and I have this moment, a little debate with myself. Floss, don't floss. Floss, don't floss. Sometimes I feel myself about to rebel and just say (excuse my french here) screw it. (Aside: why are the french blamed for all the curse words?) But, then I look at myself in the mirror and I can't resist the call of good oral hygiene and floss.

Damn my concern for good oral hygiene and keeping my teeth as long as possible.

v.carrie

1 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Me and Self dialogue is priceless. I really shouldn't eat lunch while reading your blog or Laurie's. They both are always the source of spontaneous laughter. Thanks for the tip on brussel sprouts. I'll have to try that. I should fault you as well on my need for PURRy companions. Xander looks like such a cool cat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home