Saturday, May 28, 2005

Step One: admitting you have a problem.

Okay, I have a confession. I've had a problem most of my life, a syndrome if you will. I call it lost puppy syndrome.

It actually runs in my family. We see a creature with this "help me, I'm lost" look in their eyes, and we just want to take them in, feed them, and let them know it's all going to be okay. You're home now.

Traditionally this has been a problem for me when it comes to dating. I mean lost puppies are cute and funny and all, but they tend to be pretty distrusting and fearful. And this tends to be a problem when trying to build relationships. But, don't worry I'm getting better at not falling into that hole again. At least not when it comes to dating.

When it comes to other areas well I'm powerless in the face of my syndrome. That's I believe is step two. That's how Wesley came into my life.

Should I start running now Isn't he the most beautiful cat? Long hair cat with a plumed tail. I first met him over the internet. A friend at work was helping this rescue group with a website and showed me the pictures. Well, I saw this poor fellow with the unfortunate name of Bingo. He had this fearful look in his eyes and huge bat eats, because he wasn't full grown yet. And I found myself thinking of Wesley a lot.

Now, unlike Xander where I immediately started filling out paperwork (after being scared by another prospective adopter stealing him from me) I didn't immediately think I would take him home. One, I had never own a pet all on my own. I'd grown up with Nick, a cocker spaniel, but there was my parents and brother to help out. But, with Wesley the responsiblity would all be mine. I wasn't sure I was up for it emotionally or financially.

Secondly, my roommate had a cat and when we moved in she asked that he'd be the only cat. Well, one night I mentioned this cat to her and she said "you can have a cat if you want. I don't mind." Well that was it. He was mine.

Little did I know that Wesley was the cat equivalent of all my bad dating experience. The rescue group warned me. They said he was shy. Did I care? No. He was rescued from the street and hadn't been properly socialized? Did that stop me? Are you kidding. Any regrets? Nope

When I brought him home he hid under the bed for two weeks. But, he came out. I renamed him Wesley because Bingo was a stupid name. It's been a thrill to watch Wesley open up in little ways. When he first sat in the living room with us, the first time he didn't run away as I walk into his general vicinity, rubbing up against my leg. Precious moments.

Sometimes Wesley tries to put on a tough face. Psycho kitty, run, run, run awaypsycho kitty, run, run, run away But, that's show. He's a little coward. And him and Xander are getting to know each other now.


So, lost puppy in dating bad. But, lost puppy in cats good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home